The City of Sheridan challenges you to complete the Census to shape the future of our community. This weekend is Digital Action Weekend May 1st-3rd.
Key Facts About the Census :
- The census counts every person living in the United States, regardless of age or citizenship status, every 10 years in years ending in 0.
- It’s in the Constitution.
- It’s about money, power, and data
- Every 10 years we help decide how taxpayer dollars come back to our communities. The 2020 Census will help to distribute billions of dollars in federal resources to your community.
- Our community gets resources based on census population counts, that help pay for hospitals, emergency services, schools, roads, and more.
- An accurate and complete census helps businesses, community leaders and elected officials make informed decisions every day.
- For the first time, people can respond online and by phone, in addition to the mail-in option. Your response impacts funding for your community for critical services for the next 10 years.
- The next decennial census happens in 2030.
It’s safe and confidential
- Your data is protected and it’s confidential. Federal law protects your responses, which cannot be shared with law enforcement, immigration agencies, or housing authorities.
COVID-19 & the 2020 Census
- The 2020 Census is underway and the most important and safe thing you can do is respond online, by phone, or by mail. It has never been easier to respond to the 2020 Census.
- Responding now will minimize the need for the Census Bureau to send census takers out into communities to follow up with households.
- Please check this page regularly for updates and adjustments in response to COVID-19. See the latest status of operations & current timeline.